Pages

Wednesday, January 12, 2011

Day Dreaming II

I also don't usually do these kind of questionnaires but following John Gray's brave responses, I thought I would give it a go!

Here are my answers to the questions:

1. A book you've read that changed your views on something.
Barnes Wallis, A Biography.” By J. E. Morpurgo, - Sir Barnes Neville Wallis, CBE,FRS, RDI, FRAeS (26 September 1887 – 30 October 1979), English scientist, engineer and inventor. He is best known for inventing the bouncing bomb used by the RAF to attack the dams of the Ruhr Valley during World War II. Unfortunately he is not remembered for his most brilliant invention – the Geodesic airframe that became the prototype airframe for all modern aircraft, geometrically constructed of aluminium ribs that allowed aluminium sheet metal to be riveted to it, providing a light airframe that increased the carrying capacity and range of large aircraft.

After reading this biography I changed my mind on life and decided to get an education.

2) Your views on gay marriage.
Live and let live! I am also supportive because I do not believe in discrimination by race or gender.

3) What do you think of religion?
If it works for you – fair enough – but don’t try ramming it down my throat. I’ve experienced too many hypocrites who professed to be “religious”.

4) What do you think of politics?
Voting merely encourages them! I rather liked C. Northcote Parkinson's (Parkinson's Law, 1958) solution to the method of choosing a prime minister. Worth reading!

5) Your views on drugs and alcohol.
I also drink and enjoy a drink, but, as a health professional, I have also experienced the effects of abusing this substance in too many instances.

As for drugs...I have some experience.... toyed with Marijuana in the early sixties – “The Freedom Generation” and used amphetamines (prescribed) to stay awake and alert/functioning over many days in critical situations – don’t recommend it ‘tho!

Cocaine, Ice and heroin should be free - leave it out in baskests on street corners and provide injecting rooms. Just make sure those baskets are high enough off the ground so that 'innocents' don't mis-experience them!  We will soon have no illicit drug problems as the users will kill themselves off!

6) Something people seem to compliment you the most on:
My ‘Depth of knowledge’. As a child I was a voracious reader. I read all the books in the children’s section of the Municipal library in a year and was afforded ‘honorary admission’ to the adult section where I tore through the non-fiction section – National Geographic’s, The Bulletins, American Post, Encyclopedia, Dictionaries. I could read a 600 page novel in a week. I also appreciated the classic authors – Joyce, Dickens, Shakespeare, Poe, Mark Twain, Lewis Carroll, etc.

7) A band or artist who has gotten you through some rough days.
Johnny Cash – Folsom Prison, The Gambler.

Procol Harum.


 
8) Something you hope that you never have to do.
Bloody hell! Errrr! Survive my wife – I do not know how I could cope without her!
 
9) Someone who has made your life worth living for.
Rhonda – she rescued me and was instrumental in turning my wayward life around.
 
10) Someone who made your life hell or treated you like shit.
No-one has ever done that to me! (And no-one should try to do it now, either!)
 
11) Someone you didn't want to let go, but just drifted.
One of my ex-bosses, Marie. A great and talented person but we’ve just drifted apart in the latter years. ‘Neen is another great friend and I sensed the other day that we were drifting apart. I’ve arranged to meet her for lunch tomorrow.
 
12) Someone you need to let go of or wish you didn't know.
No, I cannot think of anyone. I have no problem letting go of people I do not want in my life!
 
13) Something you hate about yourself.
I have an ‘reactive’ temper. I do not treat fools (or incompetents) lightly and I call things as I see them – something that always got me off-side with bureaucracies. No matter how hard I tried, I could never change that!
 
14) Something you love about yourself.
My determination to learn new things and to see tasks completed and wrapped up. I was always valued as a leader. My Myers-Briggs Personality type was as Extroverted, Intuitive, Thinker and Perceptive. My Keirsey Temperament was analysed as a "Guardian" - observant and cooperative, seeking security and belonging, concerned with responsibility and duty. My greatest strength is logistics and I excelled at organizing, facilitating, checking, and supporting.

15) Something you have to forgive yourself for.
I would have said the disastrous and nasty end to my first marriage – but – my first wife, Anne, and I have already mended that fence! Anne, I am truly sorry for the hurt I caused you!
 
16) Something you have to forgive someone else for.
There is no one I need to forgive. If they hurt me bad enough I cut them off and forgot them. There was no point in dwelling upon ‘hurt feelings’ – Get over it! Get on with your life!
 
17) Something you hope to do in your life.
When Rhonda retires I would like to find a nice quiet, small, rural community where we could live peacefully and enjoy our final years – somewhere not too far from a regional centre with all the services we might require – a satellite village somewhere - have some chickens, ducks and grow our vegies.

18) A hero who has let you down.
John Wayne! You silly bastard – why did you keep smoking!

2 comments:

Sharon said...

Interesting answers, I believe you would make a good neighbor.

No way am I gonna do that survey! Nope!

John Going Gently said...

bravo!
x