Pages

Wednesday, April 27, 2011

What goes with what?

We had a lovely pork rib roast the other night, done with full baked vegies and apple sauce. The local butcher carved off for pork rib chops, de-boned it and rolled and seasoned it for cooking.

Got me to thinking as to "What goes with what?", particularly what fruits could be served with different meats, either whole or made as a sauce? Here's some that I have already used previously

Pork - Apple, Avocado, Pineapple, Ginger

Chicken - Avocado, Lemon

Turkey - Apricots, Cranberries

Lamb - Mint, Pineapple

Beef - Plumb, Nectarine

Duck - Orange, Apricots

Venison - Nectarine, Paw Paw, Avocado

Goat - Paw Paw, Pineapple, Avocado

Fish - Lemon

Any of you cooks out there got any other suggestions for the list?

7 comments:

LindaG said...

How lucky to still have a butcher that will do a roast like that for you. :)
I'm not a cook. Don't do the what goes with what.

I know I don't like lemon with my fish. ;)

How does goat taste? Tried duck once and wasn't
impressed. I'm sure it had something to do with my lack of cooking skill though.

JohnD said...

Lemon wedge with fish and chips - bloody lovely, better than vinegar, but you can also bake whole fish with a layer of thin lemon slices laid over the fish - very good with oily fish like tuna, trevally, morwong, etc.

Duck does not inspire me but I have my own reasons for that. Rhonda likes duck and has it frequently at Chinese restaurants.

Jim said...

You know what John? I find an apricot chutney goes with pretty well any meat.....that reminds, I need to get or make some!

That tree in my last post is a Corkscrew Witch Hazel and those seedy/flower pods are there till well into summer.

JohnD said...

Apricot chutney, ehhh? I got a jar of thatwhen we visited Krondorf in the Barossa Valley in S.A. It was very nice. I'm not into making chutney etc as I can buy them so easily from craft stores locally as we are in a vineyard region.

I'll post about the tree on your thread.

Jim said...

Thanks John. I'll see if I can get one....I'm sure I can find some room in the garden.....just don't tell Ron! lol Think I'll go to the Framers Market on the weekend to get some chutney.

John Going Gently said...

KFC and a bin

JohnD said...

Well, JohnG - You need the bin to be sick in, ehhh?