Pages

Friday, April 27, 2012

Baking soda bread

Finished loaf

I baked some soda bread this afternoon. I used my rectangular baking tins.

Recipe I used was:

Ingredients:
3 cups of all-purpose flour
1 tablespoon of baking powder
1/3 cup of white sugar
1 teaspoon of salt
1 teaspoon of baking soda
1 egg lightly beaten
2 cups of buttermilk
1/4 cup of butter, melted

Method:
Preheat oven to 325F (165C) degrees
Grease a 9" x 5" baking tin
Combine flour, baking powder, sugar, salt and baking soda
Blend egg and buttermilk together and add all at once to flour mixture Mix just until moist. Stir in melted butter. Pour into prepared pan.
Bake 65 to 70 minutes or until a toothpick inserted into the bread comes out clean.
Cool on a wire rack. Wrap in foil for several hours, or overnight, for best flavour.


Prepared dough mixture

Baking pans ready - I always prepare a small pan in case of extra dough

Finished results cooling on rack

Bread wrapped in foil for overnight - hopefully for breakfast
tomorrow with sliced ham





2 comments:

Cindy@NorthofWiarton said...

Thanks for the Fall Colours in your previous post, John & for the Soda Bread Recipe. Rob & I have both really cut back on bread, however will give it a whirl some time & share it to my recipe group. Would you mind sharing your photo of the finished product with me, as I would like to share it also with my recipe group? Send it via email if you comply? Thanks John & good day to you & Rhonda, & Denny !

LindaG said...

It looks really good, John. Thanks for the recipe!
Have a great weekend. :o)